Wednesday 1 December 2021

Jive Book Review: The Shaman: Patterns of Siberian and Ojibway Healing


A review of The Shaman: Patterns of Siberian and Ojibway Healing by John A. Grim. He describes the common features of the figure known as "the shaman" by anthropologists who is found mainly in cultures of Siberian origin: with the focus mainly on the Yakut of Siberia and the Ojibwe Indians aka Chippewa, Saulteaux, Anishinaabe people of southern Canada and the northern Midwestern USA. I attempt to compare the features of the shaman and of shamanic religious practices to Indo-European religious customs, particularly in Nordic Germanic religion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, thank you for the review of this book. I was wondering where you found this copy? I have been looking everywhere and can only find "The Shaman, Patterns of Religious Healing Among the Ojibway Indians". I would love to have a copy of this book...as I am by bloodline, Siberian but was raised on Ojibway land. Do you know if the content inside the two books are identical? Was it just the name change?

Survive the Jive said...

@Unknown I found it on brick lane market over ten years ago. I have not compared the two texts so can't say for sure how much they differ but based on the title I assume it is the same book but with more focus on Ojibwe than in the first edition.

Anonymous said...

Ahh... got it. Well, I will continue on trying to find this book! Thank you.